Monday, December 1, 2014

Native American Art Project



     I am always looking for different art projects.  I like them to be creative, tactile, and not involve too much sketching and or painting, although we do some of this too.  I learned how to make these back in Girl Scout Troop #257 - Hurrah for Mrs. Tillman -- back in the 1970s.  Traditionally a Pueblo Native American Indian or Spanish craft, they are easy and fun to make.  


     The first day I showed the students how to make them.  An older student helped me make popsicle sticks pre-tied together to make it easier for the younger students.  Then I left all the yarn and extra sticks on the table the rest of the week.  

As usual, the students came up with their own variations including tiny ones made with toothpicks,  different color combinations, reversing the weave so that it comes out three dimensionally, and even large ones made of all one color.  



      We learned two other facts about Ojos de Dios, or God’s Eyes as they are traditionally known.  
      
      1.  They do not make good boomerangs.
      
      2.  My husband also learned how to make these in Spanish class when he was in school.  He loved making them so much he had his mother buy him several different colors of yarn so he could weave more at home.  He was in the tenth grade.