Friday, October 9, 2015

Cavia Porcellus for Sale


     I hadn't seen a misspelled sign in a few days and I was getting a little worried, but no more.  We made a late night run to the hardware store after our family pizza night, and I found three of them.   Here is the first one.   My amazing husband even did a U-turn on a curvy road and shined the car's headlights onto this sign so I could get a good picture of it.
   
     The correct spelling is guinea pig, or in Latin, Cavia porcellus.  They are terribly cute, even if the people selling them have a little trouble spelling their names.   I discovered that they are originally from the Andes, not from Guinea (the country in West Africa), and neither are they any sort of pig.  So there is your geography, science and spelling lesson for Friday.  Enjoy your weekend.