Friday, June 1, 2018

Eighth Grade Graduation Speech, 2018

My homeroom students had their eighth grade graduation last week, and this was my little speech. 

To my dearest eighth graders,
To a crazy, creative group of humans,
To an incredible eighth grade class which has amazing potential to impact the world for Christ,
I'm going to miss you.

I'm going to miss your smiling faces.  I'm going to miss your creative comments during class.  I'm going to miss your great grammar and history test scores.
I'm going to miss your encouraging words and smiles, and I even think I'm going to miss your driving pigs into my class.

We've been through a lot together.  We've spent over 500 hours together, and that's a lot of time.
We've taken tests, quizzes, and covered over 1,000 pages of history, grammar, vocabulary, and literature together.
We've studied continents and countries from Morocco to Antarctica, and discussed everything from creation to the bombing of the Twin Towers together.

You've amazed me with your deep thoughts and comments -- about why more Anabaptists aren't missionaries, about how we use technology, about hiding in my attic during World War III, about hypocrisy, and about ethics.

You've caused me to roll my eyes and smile more times than I care to count.
You've made me think, and laugh, and cry.

One of the most exciting parts about teaching eighth graders is that they enter the eighth grade as children and leave almost as adults. 
And I as their teacher get to witness this strange process of events.

I've encouraged them to clean up their desks and pick up after themselves, and I've witnessed their change into young men and ladies who often encourage each other and me, and have good ethical discussions regarding decisions which will affect the rest of their lives.

So, eighth grade class, I leave you with hopes that I'll see you often in the future.  I leave you with each other -- friendships that you've developed and that I hope will continue long after eighth grade graduation and the last day of school tomorrow.

I leave you with incredible potential for the future.  This class has it all-- brains, creativity, diligence, boldness, and a great work ethic.  Individually you can accomplish much, and maybe someday several of you will work together to accomplish much more.

I pray that God will bless you as you continue along life's pathway, that He will lead and guide you into what He has planned for you, and that you will have a strong desire to follow God's will for your lives.

Fare thee well, 8th grade class of 2018.  I can honestly say that I will never forget you.