Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Starbucks Coffee and My Great-aunt's Braid


Don't you love it when you get nice little surprises from your students?  Last week I was blessed with an ice-cold bottle of coffee and a creative bouquet in a light bulb vase.  






Last Friday we read a story in our literature class.  It was about some girls with bobbed hair who had made fun of one of their classmates who had pigtails.  I couldn't resist.  I went to the closet in my classroom and pulled out my "antiques" box.  I have all kinds of neat stuff in there-- including my great aunt's hair.  You see, she died without an heir (and without some of her hair), and although most of her money and mansion was left to a university, my sister and I got her "personal effects", and I would call a box of her cut-off hair a personal effect.  Most definitely.  
So, I slowly pulled the long braid out of the box and all twenty of my students squealed and screeched.  Then we had a discussion about the literature story, and about the fashion of bobbed hair.  One of the students asked if she could touch it.  I thought that was funny, and I let her.  They squealed more.