Monday, October 22, 2012

The First Quarter - YAY! The Tarantula Molted

The First Quarter

The first quarter is coming to a close this week and we are busy planning another honor roll party.  More on that one later. . . .  But, the first quarter has been great.  Here are a few of the highlights.

As it gets colder, many of the insects are beginning to slow down, or pass on.  Here is a beautiful butterfly, along with a snake spine one of our students’ dads found when he was moving a building.  (I found one of these this summer at Ken’s Joys, and although it was larger, it was around $45 so I didn’t buy it.)  The dad knew his son would love it for “science”, so he carefully picked it up and took it home.  We all got to see and enjoy it.  

Our Chaco Golden Knees Tarantula molted.  This is quite an amazing thing.  First of all, they spin a large “web”, which is really a thick carpet, in a corner of their container.  Next, they lie down upside down, and are very still.  It looks like they have died.  They usually choose to do this over the weekend when it is more quiet at school.  After they lie there for hours, the large oval on their backs breaks loose and the tarantula crawls out, leaving its old skin laying on the web carpet.  We’ve tried to actually watch it happen, but can never have enough time to just sit and watch for that long.  Here is a picture of the tarantula with her molt.  

And, we just got in a new order of tracts from Chick Tracts.  These comic-book type tracts are fascinating to read, and our students love them.  We are a little selective because of content.  All must have the principal’s approval to get in the tract basket at school.   

The older girls and two lady teachers headed to U-Swirl in Waco to pick out fabric.   It is much easier to pick out fabric when you are eating frozen yogurt sprinkled with mango, brownie, gummy sharks, chocolate chips, caramel and hot fudge sauce.  

A heart-shaped yellow jackets' nest

 (To discover why she is holding a doll, read the post "Spontaneity, Part I".)

Our bearded dragon just happens to take a little nap, using a gryphea fossil for his pillow, 
about choir time every day.  

Choir one afternoon. . . .