Monday, April 27, 2020

Baby Fox Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo -- A Week of Scavenging Roadkill for Educational Purposes


The last time I can remember that I saw a fox roadkill was in the middle of a two-day, cross-country drive.  It was a cold morning in the early spring -- a perfect time to pick up a fresh roadkill.  
There was one problem.  We were on our way to stay with some friends for about a week. 

     Deana:  "Jeff, there is a roadkill fox!  I've always wanted a fox.  We've got to stop and get it!"
     Jeff:  "What are you going to do with it?"
     Deana:  "Put it in the car and skin it when we're back home."
     Jeff:  "But where are you going to put it for the next week?"

     Deana: "I guess it would be a little gross to put it in their freezer.  Could we wrap it up well and pack it in snow in their backyard?"
     End of discussion. We didn't get that fox.

Four years later . . . . 

I found another road kill fox, and it was a cute little baby fox.  
And we were on the way to church.
My amazing husband stopped the car, turned around and drove back to where it was lying on the center yellow stripes in the middle of the road.
As I was picking it up (in my church dress, nylons, and dress shoes), one of our ministers and his wife drove by and gave me a funny look.  After church he very politely asked Jeff what I was doing in the middle of the road with a dead animal on the way to church.  

My science teacher son and I are going to skin it like we did the coyote road kill we found a few years ago.  Never mind that.  Jeff just read this post and says he wants it mounted. 

P.S. This is LEGAL because I am an educator and I have official permission from the Pennsylvania Game Commission.  Here's my permit to prove it.  It's called a salvage permit.  But when I called them, I asked for a scavenger permit. Hee hee. I made sure I had a permit as several years ago some lady reported me to the FBI because one of my students brought in a dead hawk which had flown into a window and broken its neck.  But that's another story.