Wednesday, April 6, 2016

"E" is for Experiment - The "A, B, C"s for Christian Schools; 26 Topics We Have the Opportunity to Teach Our Students

Do the experiments in the science text books.
Do the experiments in the science text books.
Do the experiments in the science text books.
To be perfectly honest, the least favorite subject I have ever taught has to be physics -- and that is exactly what I am teaching right now as the last half of our science book is on physics -- oh, yay.  However, we have faithfully done every experiment except one, and even physics is starting to make a little more sense to me.  

As adults, we understand most of the basic concepts in the science books and it seems such a bother to assemble all the needed supplies, and then to take the time to actually do the experiments.  However, taking the time to do them does two things for our students.

1.  It enables them to see and understand science concepts.
2.  It makes learning science more fun for them.  

And, here is what I try to do every year.  In the summer, I go through the entire science text book and make a list of every item we will need for the experiments the upcoming year.  Then, I take several weeks to assemble this list.  I store everything in one bin, and we are set for the entire year.