Tuesday, April 5, 2016

"D" is for Dictionary - The "A, B, C"s for Christian Schools; 26 Topics We Have the Opportunity to Teach Our Students

"D" is for Dictionary
 I absolutely adore dictionaries.  My favorite is a 1954 Webster's "New" American Dictionary (quotes are mine)which I acquired for free at a book sale.  I love all 1,241 pages of it.  It is two and a quarter inches thick, the largest book on my desk right now, and every time I open it I take a moment to savor the delightful aroma--a mixture of old library smells which conjure up memories from my elementary school days.   Any word I have ever needed to locate I have found within its pages.  
I also thoroughly enjoy encyclopedias, atlases, and thesauruses.  I love to learn; and to check my spelling, pronunciation and usage.  I believe these are wonderful behaviors to model for our students.  They should learn to revere and not fear these faithful, fabulous, reference books.