Tuesday, April 28, 2020

The Pleasant, Peasant Pheasant: A Week of Scavenging Roadkill for Educational Purposes


The night after I found the poor, unfortunate baby fox that didn't make it across the road, I was on my way to school (to do something or other that teachers do when school is out and they really don't need to be at school, but somehow end up going there at least once a week or so) when I spotted this pheasant in the middle of the road.  It looked perfect, so, of course, I stopped and picked it up.  I added it to the fox in my freezer.  This was the freezer in the garage, of course -- not my freezer in the house where my mother-in-law thought I had put the fox.  She was afraid to open my freezer after that.  

P.S.  I love animals and science, but I do NOT like killing things, so I don't.  But I do like to pick them up when I find them for free in good condition on the side of the road.  And, because I am a teacher, I can do this legally with my salvage permit from the PA Game Commission.