Saturday, April 9, 2016

"H" is for Holocaust -- The "A, B, C"s for Christian Schools; 26 Topics We Have the Opportunity to Teach Our Students

I have been a history buff ever since I discovered archaeology in about the 6th grade.  After that I began digging for bottles, fossils, arrowheads, or anything I could find.  The past just seemed to beckon me to learn about it.  Later, sometime after I had learned about the Holocaust (and was completely freaked out for a couple of days; it really affected me), my mother bought me a copy of The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom.  I've been reading true stories about World War II ever since, and I'm currently reading one now (The Last Jew of Rotterdam).
Isn't this picture of Corrie by the hiding place awesome?  I want to go build a secret place somewhere in my house whenever I see this.  

While studying the Holocaust is obviously for older, more mature students, I believe it is the epitome of why we teach history:
The stories which most interest me are the ones like The Hiding Place, where "ordinary" people do extraordinary things for the right reasons.   Here is a list of my some of my favorite WWII books.  After our move almost a year ago, I am still awaiting bookshelves and thus haven't unpacked most of my books.  When I finally do (and I cannot wait;  I feel incomplete without them) I will hopefully add more to this list.

As Far As My Feet Will Carry Me
We All Die Alone
The Long Walk
Hunting Eichmann
The Great Escape
Escape from Colditz
Anne Frank -- Diary of a Young Girl
Schindler's List
Unbroken
Ghost Soldiers
Night
Thanks to My Mother
The Secret Holocaust Diaries
The Butterfly
Red Scarf Girl
The Number on Grandfather's Arm