Tuesday, April 12, 2016

"I" is for Inuit - - The "A, B, C"s for Christian Schools; 26 Topics We Have the Opportunity to Teach Our Students


Ever since one of my amazing elementary teachers had our class make igloos out of sugar cubes while we were studying the Inuit, or First Nations peoples (Eskimos), this people group has interested me.  It really is fascinating to learn about different cultures,  and if we do not teach our students about different cultures, they will tend to be more egocentric, thinking that America and our way of life rules supreme.  I would hope that my students would be much more enlightened and missions-minded.











egocentric |ˌēgōˈsentrikadjectivethinking only of oneself, without regard for the feelings or desires of others; self-centered• centered in or arising from a person's own existence or perspective:egocentric spatial perception.
I'd make a bad Inuit, though -- I don't like the cold.  It would be fun to be inside an igloo, for maybe just a little while--with a nice big fire.

A great way to learn about these people is to read books about them.   One of my all-time favorites is The Bravest Dog Ever,  the story of Balto, a sled dog who saved a whole town by delivering medicine in a blizzard.    The Year of Miss Agnes is another fabulous book about the Inuit, and teaching in general.  It is one of my favorite teacher books and has greatly inspired me through the years.