Saturday, April 16, 2016

"N" is for Newton -- The "A, B, C"s for Christian Schools; 26 Topics We Have the Opportunity to Teach Our Students

Sir Isaac Newton, that is.

"N" had me stumped.  I was going to be lame and use "nap" or "nothing" because teachers MUST have some clear-your-head-down-time after being responsible for all the little humans all day long, but then, as I was on my hands and knees in my garden in the dirt and chicken poop fertilizer my husband got today, I asked my biology major son what he thought "N" should be.  Right about the time I asked him this, I thought of the Nuremberg trials.  
Great, I thought.  More history!  
"No," said he.  "Newton."  And since I have a shortage of science topics, I agreed.


We recently studied Newton's Three Laws of Motion, and what struck me the most about him is not that he had a great mind-- because he surely did, but that he had guts.  Much of what he discovered, and could prove scientifically, was very out-of-the-box.  Some of it went completely against what had always been believed.

And, he was a Christian.  A serious Christian.  He wrote Bible commentaries along with his science stuff.  He was a great man.