Monday, April 25, 2016

"U" is for the Underground Railroad -- The "A, B, C"s for Christian Schools; 26 Topics We Have the Opportunity to Teach Our Students

Ever since I was flat on my back for 84 days in the hospital during a pregnancy, I have had a fascination for escape stories.    (My daughter was born 8 weeks premature with hypo plastic lungs and had to be rushed to another hospital with a higher level neonatal intensive care unit.  She could barely get any oxygen into her lungs and was on a jet ventilator for a few days.  God is good; she can sing like a lark now and her lungs are fine.)  

During my confinement, a friend from church brought me a collection of various escape stories and I devoured them.  I have read just about every one I can find since then.  So it is that I also thoroughly enjoy stories of escape on the Underground Railroad.  The aspects of right vs. wrong, good vs. evil, adventure, peril and thrill are so intriguing-- and most of the stories are true which is even more exciting.  


When students can gain an understanding of the wrongs done in our past, and feel compassion towards others, we are one more step toward never having sad occurrences like these happen in the future.

Click HERE to read about the Underground Railroad quilt I made, and one of my favorite books to read to students on this topic.  

Click HERE to read about the Underground Railroad Honor Roll Party.