Thursday, April 28, 2016

"X" is for X-Ray -- The "A, B, C"s for Christian Schools; 26 Topics We Have the Opportunity to Teach Our Students

I know, "X is for X-Ray" is a little trite, but I have this true story you see . . . . 

While learning about the vertebrae in the human spine in science class one year, I pulled out some lovely x-rays of my spine.  

Back when I was in the 6th grade, some ladies came during P.E. class and drew chalk lines on our spines while we leaned over.  I didn't like my ugly gym uniform anyway-- a little chalk wouldn't hurt it.  

Well, all the other girls were fine, but I was not.  My spine was crooked.  Whatever.  I felt fine.  I didn't think my spine was crooked.  (No freaking out allowed.)  They told my mother to take me to the doctor for an x-ray.  It turns out that I had a very mild case of scoliosis.  The doctor nonchalantly told us not to worry and to come back in six months.  We did.  I was fine.  Don't ask me why, but for some reason he asked us if we wanted to keep the x-rays.  "Sure!" I replied.  I had no idea I'd be showing them to the science class I would be teaching forty years later, but I did.  

I have two bins of history and social studies "stuff", three bins of science "stuff" (including my x-rayed spine) and four bins of dress up "stuff".  One of my favorite quotes is, 
"Good teachers have lots of stuff."  
(It's in the Bible too; King Saul was hidden among the "stuff" when they were trying to find him to anoint him king.) 

So, I admit it--  I collect stuff.  I find stuff at garage sales,  thrift shops, on the side of the road, and in my deceased great-aunt's drawers.  I have used everything I've collected at least once; most of the items I've used several times.  I've got a big attic and I like to use my "stuff" to make my lessons more interesting.   The students really pay attention when you pull an x-ray of your spine out to show them.  
To read about more about my "stuff", like my Great Aunt Arsenne's braid I found in a box, click HERE.