Wednesday, November 8, 2017

A Truly Medieval Party*




 



Sometimes I wonder why I say some of my ideas out loud so that my students can hear them and then want to do them.  Such was the case with my "Medieval Marketplace" idea as we finished our Medieval Ages chapter.  My eighth grade world history class worked together to create it, and we invited the entire school to attend during the lunch hour.  
As I was gathering up all the stuff beforehand, I wondered why I had ever uttered such an idea.  But later, as we were laughing and mingling with the kindergarten through seventh graders and their teachers, sipping rose water, sampling stews, hot cross buns and sugar cookies, I was glad that I had said my idea out loud.  Several students tried out the "longshanks" (stilts) and attempted to write their name using a feather pen dipped in blueberry juice.  Not very many wanted to put the Vinegar of the Four Thieves on their skin to keep away fleas and thus the Bubonic Plague.  We enjoyed ourselves and learned at the same time.  
That's good stuff.  
*I borrowed the title from our cookie baker who had "Truly Medieval Sugar Cookies".