Monday, December 25, 2017

Papa Panov, Pajamas, Pizza, and Poetry

When I mentioned having a poetry reading while we were enjoying Robert Frost's "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" in literature class, I knew there was no way I would actually do it as I'm way too busy teaching, being a mom, planning the next achievement party, and trying to reorganize my classroom and my entire house over the holiday; but, my amazing teacher's apprentice from Terre Hill Mennonite High School, Jiana Smucker (pictured above with me at the poetry reading), wasn't daunted at all.  "I want to do a poetry reading!" she told me.  I told her that I'd help decorate if she planned it.  And she did. Ingredients for a poetry reading: 













































Enthusiastic teacher's apprentice - check 
Poetry books - check
Throws and pillows - check 
Candles - check
Cinnamon rolls and iced coffee - CHECK  

The students did a great job.  They found poems about dogs, cats, Chevys, Fords, serious stuff, and funny stuff.  Jiana found a poem the students loved.  It was about Rubik's cubes which have become quite popular with the 8th graders.  
She made iced coffee and her mother made caramel-iced cinnamon rolls.  Mmmmmmm . . . . We even did the poetry-reading finger-snapping thing instead of clapping.
I dressed up in my flannel pajamas ("and ma in her kerchief and I in my cap, had just settled down for a long winter's nap") and read my poem.  Then, for our last poem, one of the students read the Christian version of that poem available here.
Although I like to have fun, I always want my students to think.  


Later we went outside, made a big circle, and set a new record of volley ball hits without the ball hitting the ground.  We even added sound effects.  I love teamwork!  Then we had a pizza party and I read a few stories including Papa Panov's Special Christmas by Leo Tolstoy.  It was an absolutely delightful day, and I appreciate my students even more than I did before.  They are a wonderful bunch.