Monday, April 15, 2019

A Great, Great Field Trip -- 8th Grade Field Trip to Colonial Williamsburg 2019


The trip to Williamsburg this year with my 8th grade homeroom class was fabulous.  Several of the trees were in bloom, the weather was great, and we got to go into a few buildings I'd never been in before.  This is honestly one of the most educational and captivating places I've ever been, and I love to take my students there.  
 









We started off with our illustrious tour guide Sierra McDonald, who taught us how to play a colonial hoop and stick game.  The students did pretty well at this.  
I did not.  
  
We talked with the cooks in the Governor's Palace kitchen and visited several trade shops including the blacksmith, the tinsmith, the carpenter's yard, the cooper, the printer, and more.  

We talked to people from the Indian delegation, met a Baptist preacher (who did not belong to the church of England, of course), walked into cells at the Public Gaol, and sang inside the 1700s era Bruton Parish Church.  




By the end of the day, we still had enough energy to run around and get lost in the maze behind the Governor's Palace.  I  had a hard time finding the center, but I finally did. 
Then we retreated to the King's Arms Tavern where we enjoyed a delicious meal which included freshly baked bread and ice cream topped with fresh berries.  We even had a fiddler play one of Thomas Jefferson's favorite songs for us while we ate.  It was a long day (we left at 4:00 a.m. and returned home at 11:30 p.m.), but it was well worth the trip.