Friday, April 17, 2020

Russian Folk Art Project: Mezen (Ме́зенская ро́спись)

Note: All of these pictures are of history projects completed by my 7th and 8th grade students. 








So, back when we actually had school, at school, with real humans, in person, we had just finished Chapter 16, "The Spread of Imperialism," which is one of my favorite chapters because much of the content is on Russia.  I love Russian music, Russian authors (Tolstoy!), and Russian folk art (or just about any folk art, for that  matter.)  So, for our last history activity before "Coronatime" besieged us, I researched and presented an activity on Mezen.  

Mezen is the oldest known Russian folk art, and its name is derived because this art form originated in an area around the Mezen River.  It uses only red and black (and an occasional splash of yellow.)  Mezen is always geometrical, and horses are prominent because they were a sign of wealth back then. 


As usual, I showed the students several examples of Mezen, and then I printed several copies -- enough for every student to have one.  Then, after they had all finished their chapter tests, I let each one choose their favorite Mezen sample, and then I passed out rulers and compasses (to draw straight lines and circles.)
They got started and then left the projects in my room so they wouldn't get lost.  The  next day during history class was our official "project" day, and then they really got to work.  While they were working, I read them Leo Tolstoy's "How Much Land Does a Man Need?" Some of them got so intrigued with the story that I had to remind them to draw. 

If I would have given this to them as a homework assignment, I wouldn't have gotten near the results.  But, I have found that if I give my students examples, directions, and fifty minutes of quiet, focused time, the results are almost always remarkable.  They all got a really good start on their projects, and were then motivated to finish them before the due date.  



.