Thursday, December 30, 2021

Help! My Students Hate Writing!

 This article was originally published in the Fall 2020 issue of Homeschooler’s Friend, a publication of Christian Light Education Publications.  


“Help! What Do I Do When My Child Hates Writing?”

By Deana Swanson 



The answer to this question is actually pretty simple, but it’s something we rarely do, or even know how to do, and it is this: make it fun.  So, here is how I have found that writing can actually be made fun for our students.  



  1.   Have students do 95% of their writing by making their own little journal or bound book.  I like to use the plain old black and white “Composition Journal.”  If students write about two entries per page, one of these will last the entire school year.  

  



2.  Ease into it.  Be slow and sneaky.  First of all, just assign fun activities such as decorating the front covers by cutting out magazine pictures and covering them with contact paper.  (I have done this with seniors in high school.)


     Then have them make short lists such as their three favorite foods or places to go.   This makes the writing part more enjoyable and not so tedious.  So often we try to start with a whole paragraph or essay and it becomes drudgery.  Then we wonder why they hate writing!


      Gradually have them write a little more.  After two weeks of the three-item lists, have them write one sentence.  Seriously.  But make it fun, such as asking what was the best part of their weekend.  After this, go to two sentences, and then to three.  As a general rule, for grades three through twelve, I believe that the three-sentence rule works well for daily journals for all grades.  The goal is to get them to write everyday and to enjoy it; that’s a great place to start.  (Longer writing assignments are discussed below.) I have found that a little bit of fun writing daily leads to much better written assignments long term.  


3.  Choose topics they will enjoy.  It’s easy and fun to write about one’s self, so try to focus on that.  Keep it short and fun.  Here’s my weekly go-to list; I fill in the other two days with something else.  

Monday - What was your sermon about and how can you apply that to  your life?

     What was the best part of your weekend? 

Wednesday - Find something you find interesting in the encyclopedia (or from one of your textbooks), sketch it, color it, and write a fact or two you learned about your selection.

Fridays - Creative Journaling Art Days -- basically do a short, fast art project and the students will love it.  It keeps journaling creative and fun, and that is a good thing.  


4.  Funny is good.  They don’t have to always write about serious stuff.  I tell my students, “Good writing should make me laugh, cry, or think.  Do one of those.”  Often we roll Story Cubes (I cover up the weird ones), and, given three options, they will almost always remember and write about some funny story that happened to them or someone in their family. Other times we write about something sad that happened in history.  


5.  Use the journals for language arts or English writing assignments, but do these three things first.  


* Give them examples.  If it’s a character sketch we’re working on, I’ll tell them all about my grandfather working out in his shop fixing lawn mowers.  I’ll tell them how he looked (six feet tall with bright eyes), how he smelled (gasoline, engine oil and sweat), how he taught me about the different types of tools, and how soft-spoken and funny he was.  Then I’ll give my students time to think about their favorite relative.  (This works for research paper introductions, conclusions, anything!  Just give good examples.) 


*Have them make a short little outline in their journals.  For the character sketch it would be three physical and three behavioral characteristics.  The next day, it’s ready to go for that day’s journal entry.  This also gives them time to process more mentally, and the next day the writing can flow.  


*Write in small chunks.  This almost always equals better writing.  If my students are writing a three or five paragraph essay (we’re talking junior high and older here), I will often have them write one paragraph a day.  By the end of the week, they will have a nice little essay finished.



6.  Don’t be picky.  Ninety-five percent of the time writing should be fun.  NEVER correct ANY of the regular journal entries.  But do write fun and positive comments on EVERY entry.  (Have your children hand these in on Friday, and give them back on Monday mornings.  They will look forward to it.)  I write something on every entry (and I’ve got thirty-one students), and then on the last one for the week I’ll put a sticker, a stamp, a piece of Washi tape, etc.  This can be a fun way to connect with them non-verbally, and to reward them for their creativity and effort.  It’s almost like passing edifying, encouraging notes.  



7.  Be picky.  That’s a contradiction, I know.  But let me explain.  When your students do write a formal English assignment -- something first as an outline, the next day as a paragraph,  take a week to write an essay, or even a week or so to write a research paper (small chunks daily, remember?), have them type it (give them class time and an extra day or so to do it in), turn it in; and then you, the teacher, mark it up.  Encourage them to fix all the purple ink (I don’t like to use red), and then tell them how great it is once it’s all fixed.  Better yet, have them read their masterpiece for the family at dinner.  Celebrate with their favorite dessert and a round of applause.  


Easy Starters 


Ideas for Three- Item Lists


  • Three favorite snack foods

  • Three favorite colors (and an item that is that color)

  • Three favorite friends

  • Three favorite nature items/things to do outside

  • Three favorite relatives

  • Three favorite places to be 

  • Three favorite songs

  • Three favorite subjects, in order

  • Three favorite free time activities

  • Three favorite seasons, in order 

  • Three favorite letters and a word that starts with each one

  • Three favorite meals

  • Three favorite desserts

  • Three favorite days of the year

  • Three favorite books 



Ideas for One-Sentence Journal Entries


  • Favorite room in the house 

Example:  “My favorite room in the whole house is _________ because ______ .”

  • Favorite vacation spot (follow example above -- always give a reason!) 

  • If I could travel anywhere I wanted, I would go to _______  because ______ . “

  • My least favorite chore is ________  because _________ .”

  • My most embarrassing moment

  • My favorite activity 

  • My favorite smell

  • The best book I ever read was 

  • I like to ________  with my family because ______

  • My favorite game

  • I laughed so hard when . . . 


After homeschooling her five children for twelve years, Deana returned to the school classroom.  She is currently teaching at Maple Grove Mennonite Academy in Terre Hill, PA, where she lives with her husband Jeff, four children, and three cats.  She has taught English and/or music for over thirty-five years.  More ideas for writing can be found on her blog: theplainprofessors.blogspot.com, and she may be contacted at littleflock7@gmail.com.