Thursday, February 22, 2024

Barn Quilt Square Art

 



      Grades first through tenth completed these barn quilt squares recently.  First I showed them a slide show which I had put together to give the students lots of ideas.  Next, they selected the design they wanted. I printed out grids with the designs on them for some of the students, while others just got a grid and designed their own.  Then students chose their color schemes and colored their paper patterns how they wanted to paint their real squares. 


 

     I got free scrap wood from a cabinet shop and marked perfect squares in pencil on them.  Jeff kindly cut them all to the correct size while I sanded the edges.  The students got their patterns, rulers, yard sticks, and pencils; and got to work using their math skills marking their designs onto the wood.  Last, we painted them.  Some used blue painter's tape while others freehanded theirs.  We were so happy with the results that we decorated our classroom with them.