Saturday, October 12, 2024

An Edible Deer Heart, H2O Spice Drop Molecules, and the Aurora Borealis: A Week of Science

 


One of our school parents got a deer, and I was asked if I wanted the heart.  Well, of course I did.  I was also told that it was good to eat, so that became part of our dissection/experiment as well.  First of all we observed it and stuck our fingers in the valves.  Then we dissected it and explored the ventricles and atriums that we had learned about last year.  

Then it went onto the stove in a pot and simmered for a few hours.  The next day, I think pretty much all of us sampled deer heart.  That was a first for me.  I believe it tasted a bit like roast beef.  


As we were studying molecules and polarity, we constructed water molecules from spice drops, and then, of course, ate those.  We needed some dessert after the deer heart.  

One of the school moms put photos of the aurora borealis on the school moms' chat, so we all ran outside to see that.  That was also a first for me, and I'm so glad I finally got to see it.  I thought I was going to have to take a vacation in Iceland before that would ever happen.   


Above is one of my daughter-in-law's photos, and below is one of my son's photographs.  Hee hee.  And I have to share this true story I read somewhere.  An older couple went on vacation to Alaska.  After getting checked in at their hotel, the wife went downstairs to the front desk and asked, "What time do they turn the Northern Lights on?"