Thursday, April 9, 2015

Neat Art Project -- My Husband Thinks I am Crazy

     I have always liked old stuff--antiques of course, but I also like rustic old doors, windows, metal--anything like that.  So I got this idea . . . . 
     What if I could find enough window frames for each student to have one, and then they could each decorate one?  Little did I know what I had gotten myself into.  
     First of all, I had to go to a “recycle” yard and dig up all the frames.  I was climbing on top of old boards, digging through piles of old junk and glass, and getting my arms all scratched up, but I did find enough.  
      Then the owner told me I could only have the ones with broken window panes for the price I wanted to pay.  More digging.  I finally had them all lugged up to the street where I could try and fit them into my car, which I managed to accomplish.  
Husband:  “What have you been doing all morning?”
 
      Next, since it was Thanksgiving weekend and I had Friday off, what better way to spend it than to clean, paint, scrape, and varnish all those windows?  By the end of the day I was questioning if this really was the best way to spend my precious day off, and limping around from being bent over old window frames for hours on end.  
Husband:  “Honey, are you okay?”
      Then, the great moment came.  I took all the frames to school and told each of the students that they could each pick one and decorate it.  They looked at me like I was crazy.  (Maybe they were right.)  I gave them a few ideas, and soon things began to shape up.  (Maybe I’m not crazy after all?)   Some of the finished products were amazing.  Husband:  “Please don’t do any more big art projects.”