Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Hominy Anyone?

While learning about World War I and the United States Food Administration in our American history class, I pulled out my posters and discussed them with my students.  "What's hominy?" one of them asked.  That gave me an idea.

Growing up in the South, we did eat hominy, and even grits, thank you.  (We prefer the latter with cheese, by the way.)  So the next day, my students got to sample hominy, which is corn kernels that have been soaked to remove the hulls.  Most of them were not too impressed, but they did learn something new.  


hominy    

noun  hom·i·ny \ˈhä-mə-nē\
Popularity: Bottom 20% of words

Definition of hominy

  1. :  kernels of corn that have been soaked in a caustic solution (as of lye) and then washed to remove the hulls

  2. Definition courtesy of Merriam-Webster