Monday, April 2, 2018

The Big Long Viaduct Thingy (AKA What Is Left of the Big Long Viaduct Thingy)


On the way  home from our recent Eternal Praise Chorale tour, we stopped by Kinzua Bridge (or what is left of it), once the longest railroad bridge in the world.  It was built in 1882, and in 2003, a tornado whipped through the valley gully thing and destroyed a large part of the bridge.  They made an overlook out of what was left of it.  
So, the bus stopped and we got out at the visitor's center/museum part.  I love to take my time and go through these and learn all about the history before I actually see the thing.  Jeff doesn't.  He walked right through the visitor's center and out the back door declaring, "I'm going to see the thing."  I chased after him.  When I got to the end of the overlook, I was pleasantly surprised. 

After the tornado struck, they left all the twisted metal down there in the valley gully thing.  It was an amazing sight



And when we did finally get back inside the visitor's center thing, we did read all about the history of the bridge, including a Big Foot sighting there several years back.  Jeff liked that part.