Thursday, October 24, 2019

Creative Art Journaling Project: Bookmarks

   . 

   .   . .


For another creative art journaling Friday, I gave each of my students a blank piece of card stock and told them to make a bookmark.  But that alone probably would not have produced stellar results.  Part of being a good teacher is encouraging students to be creative. 
There are a few things we, as teachers, can do to spark our students' creativity that will produce stellar results though, and here are a few.
1.  Present the idea with enthusiasm!

2.  Show them an example or two. (I showed my students a bookmark that I had made.)

3.  Provide materials.  (I set out stickers, washi tape, scrapbooking paper, and scissors.  They asked if they could also use yarn and a hole puncher to make tassels, to which I, of course, answered, "Yes!"  I always keeps lots of supplies like this on hand.) 

3.  Give them a few ideas.   For example, for this project I suggested that they cut the top into shapes, which many of them did.  

4.  Encourage them to take the project home and work on it more, or to make additional ones.  While I only gave my students a few minutes to work on these during class (enough time to complete something simple), I always give them the option of taking them home over the weekend to work on them just for fun, and many of them do.  That's why I always do these on a Friday.





 .   .