Friday, October 4, 2019

I Made My Students Eat Weird Stuff*

While studying the chapter on Africa, we read about crops the Africans raised such as millet.  My students had no idea what millet was, so I bought a bag of food grade millet at the store (you can also buy non-food grade millet, which is usually called bird seed :-), and made some apple cinnamon millet muffins, and regular millet with salt and olive oil as a side dish.  Most of them liked it pretty well.  
 .   .  
Since I had enjoyed a rather pleasant culinary experience with that (although I did burn a whole pan of green beans last week and smoked up the entire downstairs of my house), I decided to make my students some Ghana peanut butter stew with chicken served over rice.  Now, that was really good.  But we had other things to do as well.  
  
I was thinking it would be really neat to make African woven grass baskets, but after I watched the tutorial, based on past experience, I thought it would be a little difficult. So, I gave the students a choice to make either an African paper weaving, or an African rag (or bag) football.  (The football project will be in another post.)
 .     .
Except for the food, which we did during two different regular class days where we covered an ample amount of the text book, we did the Arabic writing, the weavings, and the rag footballs all in one class period.  Although I love to do extra stuff like this, we spend 90% of our time doing classwork.  

*Encouraged would be a more accurate word, but Jeff picks my titles, and I liked the alliteration.