Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Leader or Lord?

 

This article was originally written for Lightlines, a magazine for Christian schools published by Christian Light Publications.



Leader or Lord?   

   

The most pleasant and motivating people to work under are usually leaders – not lords.  Rather than greatly enjoying their superiority, position, and power; effective leaders have the ability and the willingness to view situations from the perspective of those under them.  Good leaders empathize with those in their care.  They do not find pleasure in lording over them, but rather in guiding and gently leading by example rather than barking orders and bossing others around. 


      Uriah the Hittite was a wonderful example of this kind of leadership.   When summoned back to Jerusalem by King David, Uriah answered all of David’s questions before being dismissed with a great amount of food and sent back to his house.  Uriah instead slept at the door of David’s house because he could not bear to be living in luxury while his men were sleeping in tents and out in the open fields.  It just didn’t seem right or fair to him that he should be privileged while the men who looked up to him were away from their homes and families while he relaxed and enjoyed a vacation. 


     Years ago I was teaching a large group of students.  We were out on a hot football field in the middle of the summer.  The director of the group was up in the stands ordering the students around as they practiced.  The students were hot and tired.  They needed rest and a water break, but the director was enjoying his power, and kept pushing them.  I was on the field teaching as well.  I desperately wanted to leave and get a drink – which I could have easily done because of my position.  But I was experiencing the same situation my students were, and I knew how they felt.  I realized that they would feel the same way about me as they did the director if I had walked off and enjoyed a nice cool drink while they suffered, so I decided to stay and suffer with them.  Finally, I could bear it no longer.  I left and returned with a squirt bottle.  I went to every student and gave them a much needed drink of water.  


     We don’t teach so that we get to enjoy our authority and power.  We teach so that we can impart knowledge and encourage our students.  Leading by example is one of the best methods we can use.  I often tell my students that I was up until after midnight grading papers or preparing something special for them.  I want them to know that they are important, that learning is important, and that I am willing to work hard because it is.  They don’t all comprehend this, but most of them get the message: I care about this, so you should too.   One of my seventh grade boys once wrote “If this matters this much to you, it makes me care too.”  Just seeing this kind of result motivates me to keep leading this way.  


     Uriah’s men probably admired him, respected him, and followed him because of the kind of leader he was.  He was not trying to be their buddy or friend, he was concerned for their lives and well-being.  He was truly a great leader, and he died doing what was right.  That is the kind of teacher I hope to be.  One who stands up for what is right, one who leads by example, and one who empathizes with my students rather than lording over them.  This doesn’t mean I’m easy on them; it means that I work hard and expect them to as well.  It means modeling everything from neat handwriting to cheering them on to write that research paper.  


        Teachers should consider their students before themselves. Being a great leader isn’t easy, but it is important, and we should learn how to do it well.  Modeling the behaviors we expect, keeping students accountable; and empathizing with them (putting ourselves in their shoes), will all help us to be gracious leaders rather than lords.