Thursday, July 29, 2021

Brain Games and More

     Someone asked me more about brain games, so here are some pictures and a little more information. 

     I would classify just about anything that is hands-on and problem-solving as a brain game.  Obviously, there are different levels, but they are all great for the brain, using it in different ways to figure out a not-previously-understood concept.  Not only is this enjoyable for the student (and teacher -- I play with all of these!); these activities are almost like playing; yet they engage the brain. 

    Note:  I purchased all of these cheap (and in like-new condition) at thrift stores.   

    Above is one of my favorite problem-solving games, Rush Hour.  The goal is to get the red car out of the parking lot.  (That is not a real set up.  I just stuck the cars in there for the picture.) 

     MY FAVORITE PUZZLE.  I loved my United States puzzle when I was younger, and I still do.  (Don't lose Connecticut!)  The best ones have the pictures with geography and cultural things on them.  


Above and below:  Both of these sets come with cards.  To solve them, one is supposed to figure out how to get the pieces to match the designs on the cards by fitting the pieces in the right way.  


     Above:  The cards all have an easier 2-dimensional challenge on the front, and a more difficult 3-dimensional one on the back.  


     Puzzlespuzzles, puzzles !  These are great for the brain and come in so many different levels of difficulty.  I love to find just about any type of wooden one.  

Geometry anyone?  

     Obviously, these are for preschoolers, but they need brain development, too!  Did you know that studies have shown that a child’s IQ (intelligence quotient) is primarily established by age eight?  If children are intellectually and creatively encouraged at an early age, their brains will be in gear, and they will be ready and eager to learn.  If they are not mentally and creatively challenged in the early, formative years, their brains are not as inclined to learn new concepts when they start school.