Tuesday, July 27, 2021

"That Was the Best Science Class I've Ever Had"

     When we find a good roadkill in near-perfect condition, we stop and pick it up.  In the past, I've picked up and examined with my students a heron, a coyote, a rabbit, a squirrel, a skunk, a hawk, a pheasant, an injured vulture, and a baby fox; but I've always wanted a full grown fox with a beautiful red coat and that amazing, thick furry tail.  So, when we passed this roadkill fox on the way to school one morning last spring, I told Joseph to stop the truck.  He protested a bit, and then made me promise not to put it inside his truck.  I assured him I wouldn't.  (By the way, this is legal, because as educators, my son and I obtained a salvage permit from the state wildlife department. Except when I called them, I asked for a scavenger permit.  Hee hee.)  
     After making an appearance in my freshman English class, the fox's next stop was the sophomore biology class.  Joseph assigned each of the lab groups a different part of the anatomy to dissect.  One group had the stomach.  I was told that the fox's last meal was a mouse and some vegetation.  During the dissection, the students examined the respiratory system, the skeletal system, the nervous system, the immune system, the muscular system, and the eyeball.  Later that day, one of the students remarked in my English class, "That was the best science class I've ever had."  Nothing compares to hands-on, real-life learning in the field of science.  


     One of the gentlemen skinned it for me near the end of the dissection, and from there it ended up in my freezer for a few days.  That weekend, I unfroze it and soaked it in salt water, stirring it every day for about five days.  Then I drained the water out.  Stinky.  

  
      Then, after mixing borax and alum together, I rubbed the mixture into the skin and let it sit overnight.  I did this three days in a row, changing the mixture and rubbing it in again each time.  


     After the fourth time, I cleaned it well, rubbed Neatsfoot Oil into the hide, and enjoyed my pretty fox pelt.  Note:  I do think that it is sad that these beautiful animals die on the road after being hit by cars.  But, since they are already dead, I believe it is interesting and educational to learn what we can from them, and to further appreciate the many wonders of God's creation.  


related posts:  Bobcat!         coyote         rabbit         squirrel

skunk         pheasant            vulture             baby fox