Wednesday, October 6, 2021

How to Make a TeePee Classroom Reading Center

We had so much fun making the big teepee outside that I thought I'd try to make a little one for an inside classroom reading center.  First, I got the little 1/2" x 1" boards I'd used for the grape arbor I had in my classroom few years ago and tied them together at the top.  

Then I found that $7 bolt of fabric I'd bought a few years ago to make mob hats for our colonial party.  

Next, I just laid the poles on top of the fabric and cut out three triangular sections about five feet at the bottom by eight feet tall.  I sewed them together on the edges, leaving the front open, and then sewed a sleeve on each seam like on a flag.  It's easy to fold up and take down, or to set up and move around.  And it's fun to read inside it.  My students love it!   

 The poles fit inside the sleeves.